Friday, 29 February 2008

February's Bargain Hunt

To round of February I decided to list some of the items I have been lucky enough to stumble across.

On Sunday 24th February we decided to pay a visit to a once a month car boot sale held at Newton Abbot Racecourse, we set the alarm for 07:30am and was out of the house on our way to join the crowds by 08:30am.


Now to an unseasoned carbooter large sales like this will just seem like a sea of people swarming tat! however, I go into what my Husband calls hunting mode! Funnily enough I don't see people or tat, I have carefully sharpened my skills to hone in on key items that will compliment my home.

I can immediately set aside the broken shoes, toys and modern looking items in my efforts to find vintage linen, pretty china, white pottery and old porcelain jelly moulds, perfume bottles, advertising tins and furniture that I can remaster. With a tin of http://www.farrow-ball.com/ in their neutral tones deliciously named as All White, Lime White, Dimity and Slipper Satin, nothing is out of reach of becoming a beautiful piece of furniture. They are the only paint manufacturer that still use a high percentage of pure pigment to colour their paints that adds a lovely depth to the final finish, and they are beautiful to paint with.

I occasionally throw in a few blues and greens in shades of Arsenic, Pale Powder and Borrowed Light to bring it all together, I think one of the most important things about Shabby Chic decor is keeping the palette of colours to a minimum as far as furniture is concerned.

On Sunday I managed to bag these items......................





The mirrored cabinet complete with lock and key is already a lovely colour so I will not be changing a thing about it, I grabbed this for £5.00, the heavy white metal mirror with a fretwork of roses and swirls is just beautiful too as it is and was the bargain price of £2.00. I managed to also find another decorative porcelain jelly mould for £1.50.


And another tin to add to my collection from around the 1940's complete with family name!








2 comments:

Summer by the sea said...

Hi Jo, I'm paying you a visit from the old style shabby chic thread (Natlou) - I love the little blue cabinet you picked up at the car boot - which room is it destined for? I have a blog too, catch up with you again on MSE!
Natalie x

Sharon J said...

We don't have any car boots around here during winter but as soon as they start up again, I shall be there with my bargain hunting hat on.

The little cabinet's gorgeous and as for Farrow & Ball, I couldn't agree more. They may be a little more expensive than most paints but soooo much better.