
Hello All,
I cannot believe how quickly this year is passing already, my parents were telling the truth when they said the older you get the quicker time goes!
Tomorrow as you all know is Mothering Sunday, which made me think, where did this particular day appear from.
According to Wikipedia.....................
Mothering Sunday did not begin as a celebration of motherhood, but a synonym of Laetare Sunday in the Christian liturgical calendar. During the sixteenth century, people returned to their "mother church" for a service to be held on the fourth Sunday of Lent. This was either a large local church, or more often the nearest Cathedral. Anyone who did this was commonly said to have gone 'a-mothering', although whether this preceded the term Mothering Sunday is unclear. It was often the only time that whole families could gather together, if prevented by conflicting working hours.
So it has nothing to do with Mother's at all!! So why did we grab a hold of it in both hands and embrace it as OUR day? Was it so that we could be spoilt with chocolates, flowers and the promise of a Sunday roast being cooked for us?
Unfortunately I am working this weekend, although I do have Monday and Tuesday off to relax.
Saturday, 1 March 2008
The month of chocolate, flowers and eggs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Enjoy your Monday & Tuesday! - Did you get anything nice?
natalie x
Lovin your blog Jo...are they your lovely eggs I'd like some for spring equinox was thinking of dyeing some hard boiled ones but would be too heavy hung on the twigs I've got in mind
Hi there just found your blog for the first time !!
I hope you have a nice couple of days off !!
Sara x
Post a Comment